, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee | Review

2:32:00 AM

Pages: 326 pages
Publication Date: May 23rd 2013 by Hodder and Stoughton
ISBN: 144477851X (ISBN13: 9781444778519)

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

Now, What I Thought:

AHHHHH!! I love these books. Just saying, I am reviewing this series after I've already read the whole trilogy. This was the perfect introduction and first book to this very dangerous and very addicting world. This was such a cool concept and take on Angels! It's almost believable because if Angels happen to take over the world, this is probably what would happen. I know how crazy that sounds but this book does make you think in-depth. If you are looking for a quick, light read, this is not your book. Go, read a light novel then come back and get committed. You need to be dedicated and 100% sure you want to read these books because Susan Ee did a great job really going in-depth and making pasts, and storylines very real and evident. 

So, Penryn has a crazy mother, to start off with. So crazy that she (the mother) had newspaper clippings of mothers across the world who have killed their own children. Safe to say when Penryn saw this, she realized just how serious the condition her mother has, whatever it is. So in result to this, her mother sends Penryn off to all of these fighting and self-defence classes, so much that her father leaves them because of the debt they're in from the classes. Yep, pretty messed up home life. It also doesn't help that her sister was mysteriously hurt when her mother had been watching over her. So hurt that she is now crippled in a wheelchair. 

Finally, the Angels comes and attack the human race. Basically the Archangel Gabriel was pissed off that God had given life to humans and spent more of his attention on them, rather than his first children, the Angels. Gabriel lead the Angels on the  'Day of Reckoning' and practically destroyed all of earth.
Now, I've done a lot of research myself on Angels and even am currently reading the Book of Enoch, which is the jewish work telling the story of the Fallen ones and Enoch's, the great-grandfather of Noah,  journey with them. I've also read many literature pieces on Angels and can pride myself on knowing some information on them. So, when reading this book I was a little skeptical because all the fiction Angel books have their own theologies and such, from the author's viewpoint. I was very surprised to read that Ee has actually done her research and given the most accurate version of the origin of Angels and how they really act and behave. It is as accurate as the myth and legends tell us, so 10 points to Gryffindor for that! 

The romance in this book..... wait lol what romance?....... I loved the fact there was hardly anything romantic. It's pretty obvious that Ee means to pair Penryn and Raffe together but we really focus on the getting to know the characters and the world we are in. That was a pretty smart decision because it made her book different from all of the rest, whom just want paranormal, angel-human love and romance. We really get a lot of bad-assery in this book and action! Penryn can definitely kick ass and is so fierce it even impressed Raffe when he first met the human. Penryn is also very whitty and funny! Let me just show you guys:

"That calls for a witty comeback. “Whatever,” I say. Okay, so I won’t be getting the Witty Woman of the Year Award. “Do you want me to show you how to use this or not?” I sound surly. It’s the best I can do right now."

Then,

"I’m tempted to make a quip about requiring dinner and a movie before getting so kinky, but I don’t. The last thing I need is to start making sex jokes while I’m being held prisoner in a camp full of armed men in a world where there are no laws.”

Basically you guys can tell it definitely has some dry humour which is much needed because this world is so dark and cold, it brought light to some dangerous and pretty intense moments!
Lets not forget Raffe and his humour. Im sorry guys with all the quotes but I can't help it:

“Here, I’ll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot.” [Penryn said]“That’s a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet.” 

LOL! I just can't guys. You really need to read this series! It has drama, intensity, humour, danger, fights to the death, and shocking, twisting, unexpected moments! It's literally the best depiction of fiction for Angel's out there. 




You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.