, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Poison Study (Study #1) by Maria V. Snyder | Review

4:04:00 PM

Paperback
409 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Mira (first published October 1st 2005)

Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison...

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...
 

Now, What I Thought:

This was a PHENOMENAL book! I mean.. wow. 
I was speechless at how much I LOVED this book! I read this book in about a day (which is pretty good). 

Just like the summary says, Yelena is in jail for a murder that she openly admits too and doesn't deny. That one line, throughout the whole book, reoccured many times and when it did, it would just remind me that Yelena is SUCH a strong character. I admire her so much, to this day! Makes you want to be like her.. except the killing a man part haha. 

In the book, you find out that Yelena had PLENTY of reasons to kill this man, and I don't blame her one bit. What you find out is gruesome and that man deserved to die. This story, having such a dark story line also has romance as well. The romance was just.. just.. fantabulous (yes I know thats not a word). And I don't use that word very often.. but it was!!!! Valek.. mm I wish every women had a Valek in their life! 

You learn that Valek isn't innocent as well, and at first you might think he's just ruthless but noooooo oh no! He has every reason (just like Yelena) to do what he does. I admire Valek too because of his loyalty to someone he cares about.. For example, the Commander (his boss). His loyalty runs deeper then just employer-employee loyalty should go. 
Definitely a staple in the YA genre, thats for sure :) 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.