, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The 100 (The 100 #1) by Kass Morgan | Review

12:53:00 AM

Pages: 323 pages
Publication Date: September 3rd 2013 by Little, Brown and Company
ISBN: 0316234478 (ISBN13: 9780316234474)

No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now.

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide mission.

CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves -- but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.
 

Now, What I Thought:

Holy Crap, I will admit that I had not read this before the CW's show came out, but damn do I wish I had. This is better than expected, that's for sure. Also, totally different from the tv show. I can't say which one I like more, obviously the show is amazing and so well developed but the book is as well! At the same time though, the book is very different; different characters, different personalities,  and Finn wasn't even in the book! I liked the fact I got to read Morgan's initial idea and plot for The 100. 

BUT, since this is a review for Kass Morgan's book, and not the CW's show, I'll be focusing on more of the novel portion of this amazing story. Clarke is obviously one of the most strongest characters, mentally. She goes through some shit, lets just say. She portrays that strength, thankfully, in the book beautifully and you can actually read her through process and how smart she really is. 

The way Morgan wrote and described the world, it felt like the earth had been reborn and that they were starting from new, which in a way they were. I did love the relationships better in the book. Obviously, for spoiler sake I'm not going to overly describe what happens via Bellamy, Wells, Clarke and Glass. The book definitely payed more tribute to Wells, than the show. I liked how we actually got to know Wells and how he felt about Clarke. I will say, in the book, it is said that Wells and Clarke had been in a relationship on the Ark, before shit went down with her father. 

It's safe to say that Bellamy is exactly the same in the book and the show haha. He doesn't change, which is good because I loved his ark (no pun intended) from Season 1 till now. In the book, Bellamy and Clarke are definitely way more closer though, and I liked that we got to explore that possibility. We get to meet Glass, who is awesome and mysterious. She goes through so much and has to be forced to hide from it, which sucks! She gets shit on so much for nothing and it's frustrating as hell to read it. I really loved Glass. I always wondered who and how they would portray her character in the show, it would've been interesting. Im pretty sure that the novel equivalent of Glass is Raven on the show. They aren't very similar, story and plot wise, but we needed some type of connecting on the Ark so I guess CW decided to add Raven. I love Raven, don't get me wrong, but Glass would've been as equally, if not more interesting. I know why they did that too; they needed drama with Finn and Clarke, and of course, why not add the girlfriend who flew through 'time' and space to get to him. It was a smart move for the plot but having now read the book, I do wish they added Glass to the storyline. Oh well.

All in all, I did really like this book, was it boring in some places? yes, but being such a lover of the plot and the show, I couldn't not like the book you know? 

You guys should really read this if you love the show like me! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.