, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker | Review

4:02:00 PM

Pages: 643 pages
Publication Date: May 27th 2014 by Penguin Books 
ISBN: 0143126687 (ISBN13: 9780143126683)

August 30, 1975: the day fifteen-year-old Nola Kellergan is glimpsed fleeing through the woods, never to be heard from again; the day Somerset, New Hampshire, lost its innocence.

Thirty-three years later, Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country’s most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer’s block as his publisher’s deadline looms. But Marcus’s plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan—whom, he admits, he had an affair with. As the national media convicts Harry, Marcus launches his own investigation, following a trail of clues through his mentor’s books, the backwoods and isolated beaches of New Hampshire, and the hidden history of Somerset’s citizens and the man they hold most dear. To save Harry, his own writing career, and eventually even himself, Marcus must answer three questions, all of which are mysteriously connected: Who killed Nola Kellergan? What happened one misty morning in Somerset in the summer of 1975? And how do you write a book to save someone’s life?
 

Now, What I Thought:

WOW. That was an incredible ride. Seriously, I just finished that 2 min. ago and I knew I had to just rant about it! I was not expecting it to be that great! After all the reviews I had read, and there were plenty of mixed ones, I honestly thought I'd get bored but boy was I wrong.

This wonderful story is told by Marcus Goldman, the famous writer,  a one hit wonder type of guy. He found his 5 min. of fame and he wanted to make it 10. The plot and story is told by switching from past and present, flash backs to the current events. I found this pretty cool and interesting. Thinking I'd for sure get confused, I was surprised that I didn't. It all made perfect sense, right down to the fast switching dates and years. Very well written in that sense.

The whole concept was so cool! It was a murder mystery yet it also indulged into Goldman's life and his mentor, Harry Quebert. The whole story definitely had this creepy factor about it, I mean the murder of a 15 year old beautiful, coveted  girl, just screams creepy. Add a mysterious disappearance and that the famous master and friend of our main character, isn't all that innocent either. Hence the title. As the plot thickens, you really only see it through Goldman's eyes and well, since he's the reporter/writer of the story, not everyone is telling him the truth nor giving him the full backstory. SO we can't really rely on the information we're given, to be correct. Which, obviously having said that, is EXACTLY what happened. 

The ending was a bunch of confusingness, I definitely didn't know what was going on haha but, literally the last 2 pages.. everything clicked. I WAS SO SHOCKED GUYS. I couldn't believe it. Definitely, VERY unexpected. 

This book brought a whole new level of shocking endings. Definitely did not see any of that coming. Great job, Joel Dicker! I loved it!!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.