, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Game of Thrones: Home (Season 6, Episode 2) Recap/Talk

3:30:00 PM

Air Date: Sunday, May 1, 2016
Time: 9 pm ET
TV Channel: HBO
Director: Jeremy Podeswa
Writer: Dave Hill

Bran trains with the Three-Eyed Raven. In King's Landing, Jaime advises Tommen. Tyrion demands good news, but has to make his own. At Castle Black, the Night's Watch stands behind Thorne. Ramsay Bolton proposes a plan, and Balon Greyjoy entertains other proposals.

WARNING: Major SPOILERS. Do not read if you are not caught up to Season 6, Episode 2. Contains book spoilers as well. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woah guys. That was one hectic episode. I was definitely not expecting half of the stuff that happened! I'll recap it in order of the scenes and events that happened.

Beyond the Wall, we have Bran with the Three-Eyed Raven still training and seeing visions. I was actually quite shocked when we saw Lyanna Stark. I'm pretty excited about that considering I'm a huge believer on R+L=J. It was cool to see Ned, Benjen (Who we still don't know if he's dead or alive) and Wylis a.k.a Hodor. We even get a sneaky peak at Old Nan too! It was almost like a reunion and the best way to describe the emotion was nostalgia. So clearly Lyanna was pretty badass back then, which makes a whole bunch of rumours go crazy with evidence, ex. The Knight of the Laughing Tree, for all you Ice and Fire readers. I'm super excited to see more flashback scenes in the upcoming episode where it's confirmed that we will see The Tower of Joy incident.  We have some pretty cool shots beyond the Wall and it's just so beautiful and the landscape is incredible. We have some pouting from Meera Reed about why she has to stay with Bran as he trains, boo hoo Meera. Also just a quick little note: seems like the producers changed Hodor's real name from Walder (G.R.R.M's novels) to Wylis. I don't necessarily know the significance for the name change or if there even is one.
I've added the picture of Rhaegar Targaryen surpassing his wife with the crown he won at the tourney at Harrenhal. Then giving it to Lyanna Stark, even with her brother, Ned, sitting beside her. I just feel like Lyanna Stark is going to be a hot topic in the GOT world for the next episode or maybe even more, with all the flashbacks Bran is giving us, that the picture was appropriate for  this review. Considering after the huge reveal at the end of this episode, the origins of R+L=J will definitely come up.


At Castle Black, Jon Snow is still dead and Davos is now out of time as Alliser Thorne and the rest of the Night's Watch are about to knock down the door to set fire to Snow's body. And right at the last minute, the wildlings following Edd and Turmond Giantsbane come crashing in, make it very clear, pretty violently, that Jon Snow's body is not to be touched. It was a pretty magical scene, just seeing the giant crashing down the door and whacking people aside. I had the best feeling when I saw not only Thorne and the rest of the men who killed Snow, but Olly being taken to the cells. I really hope his death is soon because I mean... even Joffrey died so Olly isn't that far long. It was a bittersweet moment to see Giantsbane mourn over Jon's body. I did feel bad for the men at that point because
they truly believed that he was dead and gone. It almost felt like a, 'what now?' moment. I don't know what they would've done or how to proceed after they finally burn Jon's body. I mean, would they? I can only imagine they'd want him dead, in his normal state, rather than as a White.

Now, in King's Landing, we have a pretty funny scene to start us off with. Some man is boasting about Cersei and making all kinds of obvious false accusations about her, sexually. We then cut to a scene where the same man seems to be peeing and suddenly turns around to find Ser Robert Strong behind him. It was typically funny because, never braking his pee, he turns around with this dazed look and BAM, Strong literally bashed his head into the stone wall. The funny thing too is that we even see bits of brain (?) fall out after, yuck. In true Game of Thrones fashion.

We then jump to a scene where Cersei is on route to Myrcella's funeral, when she is stopped by the King's guards. Tommen doesn't want his mother out of her chambers because Cersei's trial is not over yet. Yeah, Cersei being Cersei doesn't take this too well but she bottles it all up and retreats back silently. You know the saying right? Silent but deadly. That's exactly what I was thinking about during that scene. Now we have Tommen himself and Jaime mourning over Myrcella's body in the sept. It was a pretty sad scene and she even had those stones over her eyes which really does just make me want to burst out laughing. As you can expect, there is never any peace in this world, so it doesn't surprise me that they're interrupted by the High Sparrow. Basically a bunch of threats and silent looks of death were given throughout the scene and I just love how arrogant the High Sparrow is. It really makes it more fun for us, the viewers, to watch him die because just like Olly in the North, we know his time is coming too. I have a feeling it's going to be done at the hand of Cersei as well.
Also can I just point out that Jaime's scene ends with him giving the High Sparrow his death look while Cersei's scene also ends with her death look as well. You can really tell that they're twins geez. A little weird how similar they are, considering....





All the way in Meereen, we have Tyrion coming to the rescue of the two dragons, Rhaegal and Viserion, that have not been eating since Daenarys left. Tyrion then explains that, "Dragons do not do well in captivity.... that's what I do, I drink and I know things." That really cracked me up because it was so simply said, it's so true. Either he pulls it from his ass every time or he does somehow know this, I don't know. I do know that in the books Tyrion was reading all there was to know about dragons and he really was gaining some insight and knowledge from it.

We then get the exciting scene with Tyrion and Varys slowly going down towards the dragon's cell. It was really interesting how easy it was for the dragons to defrost towards Tyrion and it does help that he's also a very small man. I think the dragons did sense that he meant no harm, especially when he unchained them. It didn't show what really happened next, only that the two were cuddling into each other, which was rather sweet. At least their size won't be stunted anymore and they'll hopefully grow as big as Drogon. We really do get to see and learn the softer side of Tyrion, rather than the know it all, alcoholic imp. I liked the little story he told the dragons about how much he wanted one and how cruel his father was towards him, really gave him a new perspective. Also, Tywin deserved to die even more.

In Braavos, Arya is still on the streets when she gets confronted by the Waif again and gets her daily beating it seems. Until, FINALLY, Jaqen H'ghar appears asking her repeatedly who she is after offered her the things she truly wants. Simple to say she passed the test and said each time, "A girl has no name." I was pretty proud of Arya in this. Again, she has always been my favourite storyline so I'm happy that we get to finally see good things happening with her. For the next episode we also see her kicking ass and just becoming stronger so Arya should be defining herself once again as a total bad ass, but blind this time. I'm excited to see her decision towards the end whether she'll truly give up her list of revenge or be no-one and embrace H'ghar's teachings. I definitely have a feeling I know which one she'll pick because what happened to her family and the Stark name in general was just awful and someone needs to atone for that. I also don't see Jon, Sansa, Bran or Rickon doing that. There is for sure some penance to pay and I have a feeling Arya will be wielding that sword, or shall I say, Needle.

In the North, at Winterfell, I was really shocked how easily Ramsay killed Roose! I can't believe he died so fast, I was definitely not expecting that, which I guess was the point. As soon as Roose died I knew that Walda and the poor baby were not going to stand a chance. At first I thought Ramsay was going to throw the baby against the wall or in the fire, I was actually at the end of my seat. But then when he gave the boy safely back to Walda I was pretty suspicious. And yet again, as soon as I saw the iron gates where the hounds are kept.... I felt so bad for Walda. It was pretty horrible how she and the baby died and I find it even more interesting that Ramsay did look away. Obviously I doubt the producers can pull a miracle and have Ramsay turn good, like Theon did, and actually have the ratings go up, so I'm not expecting that at all. I just hope we see some sort of realization and sorrow pass through his face in the next couple of episodes, just to prove he is human after all.
Now, in the woods not far from Winterfell we have Sansa and Theon accompanied by Brienne of Tarth and Podrick Payne. It was sad to see the goodbye and farewell between Sansa and Theon. I knew it was going to come because the Greyjoy storyline is way to big to have Theon stay with the Starks, but it was still sad. It seemed like Theon was Sansa's security blanket at this point and it was obviously difficult for her to part with him. In the scene, we even get a bit of Brienne talking about Arya with Sansa and the two reminiscing over her, 'unlady likes.' I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE IF WE GET OUR VERY OWN FIRST STARK FAMILY REUNION. When they mentioned how they were going to Castle Black to see Jon, and even how Ramsay said they'll have to storm it and kill Jon need be, I was so excited. If it was talked about so much in this episode I highly doubt they won't have a Jon and Sansa meeting because out of all the siblings those two were never close, so it'll be interesting to see that reunion instead of say, Arya and Jon, whom we all know cherish each other well. I am just really hoping for a reunion to happen fast because with those two, the wildlings and Brienne and Podrick, it's going to be epic. I wonder what Sansa's reaction towards the Whitewalkers and Wights will be? Hopefully we'll get to see.
 Something new to season 6, the Iron Islands. We have the Greyjoy family and kingdom. Balon and Yara talking about battle strategies and even the mention of Theon! I can see Yara becoming a huge player in the end because she seems to be the only sane and smart thinker of her family. She knows war at sea will definitely benefit her family rather than war on land, against the land trained fighters. Basically the two just disagreeing on absolutely everything. Next, we have Balon's younger brother, Euron revealed and I'm really excited to see how that storyline goes. His arrival really seemed to be anticipated so he's finally here and the first thing he does, is kill his brother. Typical Greyjoy men. Euron seems to be pretty arrogant in his way when he said, "I am the storm brother, first storm and the last. And you're in my way." (A great line too) And all of a sudden Balon is flying towards the sea and rocks, bye bye Balon. I wonder how Theon is going to react when he finds out his fathers dead. I'm also dying to see Yara's reaction when Euron presents himself, considering she seems pretty smart, she'll definitely link his random appearance with her fathers untimely death.

And now, the big finale! Back at the Wall in Castle Black, we have Davos asking a thoughtful and distraught Melisandre whether if she can find a way to bring Jon Snow back. She's obviously seen the proof of resurrection, so she does agree to try with Snow. She arrives in the room and it's Davos, Giantsbane, and Edd looking at the body as she begins her ritual. I really liked how this scene was done. The music was just amazing and the way Melisandre took the time to clean Jon's wounds and even cut his hair was just all done so well. She starts speaking some mix of languages (I found out it was High Valyrian) and does it multiple times, each time getting more discouraged and deterred with it seemingly not working. She finally seems to give up and leave with a final, "please." Well, what may be the best scene in television yet, the best editing and acting happened. Gianstbane gives a humph and leaves, Melisandre leaves very disheartened right after and the last, Davos, leaves with one final look at Jon Snow. We then pan in on Ghost, Jon's direwolf, and I will admit, I told myself at that moment that if Ghost doesn't move or do anything than Jon Snow will not be coming back in this episode, but guess what? Ghost seemed to sprout up and awaken and then silence. Just eery silence and finally........ (as if you guys couldn't guess).........

Well, it happened guys, not much to talk about except I can't wait to see what happens on next week's episode, Oathbreaker! Game of Thrones Season 6, Episode 2 Preview: "Oathbreaker"

You Might Also Like

2 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.